What is meant by Bruised Ribs?
We have 24 ribs in the rib cage which protect our internal organs and help us breathe. Bruised Ribs or fracture generally occur from a direct blow to the torso or chest by a car accident, significant fall or by a hard it of any edgy object or heavy object. However some diseases like osteoporosis and bone cancer can severely weaken the ribs and the other bones and cause them to break merely from coughing hard or routine twisting or lifting.
In some cases fractured ribs puncture the lungs and other internal organs of the body, which can be fatal and necessity of emergency medical treatment arises. An injured or fractured rib is often a result of some type of trauma. The medical name of broken or bruised ribs is Rib Contusion. This type of injury is generally seen in the wrestlers. This injury is very painful, breathing or coughing and sneezing can also be painful due to bruised ribs. (Source :- All Health Post)
CAUSES OF BRUISED RIBS
There are many things which can cause chest pain such as
- An injury to chest from physical sports
- An accident (generally by a vehicle)
- Frequent coughing due to pneumonia, bronchitis and whooping cough
- Osteoporosis (disease that affect bones)
- Inflamed rib cartilage
- Muscle spasms
- Blunt trauma such as an assault with hard object
Bruised ribs are also caused due to constant sports, generally by football, rugby or golf players. This type of fracture can be very painful. One should seek medical advice immediately.
Here are the 9 Signs and Symptoms of BRUISED RIBS?
Bruised Ribs are extremely painful. Even one will feel the pain in ribs while coughing or sneezing also. One should consult the doctor immediately if you suffer from any of the following symptoms of bruised ribs:
1) Pain in the Injured Area: Due to the severe injury a sudden pain starts in the injured area. Earlier the pain may not be that bad but it may get worse with the passage of time
2) Extreme Pain while Breathing: Bruised ribs can cause unbearable pain while breathing. This pain can even lead to heavy breathing
3) Muscle Spasms of the Rib Cage: If one notices a sudden pain in muscle then he or she should consult the doctor immediately as it is a sign of bruised ribs.
4) Pain while Move, Laugh or Sneeze: Injuries in the ribs can even cause you pain while you move. Even laughing or sneezing can be more painful.
5) Increased Shortness of Breath: Bruised ribs can cause shortness of breath. It may become very difficult for a person to breath.
6) Coughing up Blood: severe bruises in bone may cause coughing with blood. And an extreme pain in chest while coughing.
7) Pain in Shoulder or Stomach: Bruised ribs can cause extreme pain in chest, and the pain can even move on towards shoulders from chest area.
8) Coughing up Green or Yellow Mucus: If the case goes more serious than you may start noticing green or yellow mucus in the coughs.
9) High Fever: If the fever of 100.4o F or above lasts for 24 to 48 hours, then your injured ribs are bruised.
What does it feel like to have bruised ribs?
In most of the cases, it hurts very badly. Patient may experience severe pain in the chest or shoulder, generally in the infected area. Sometimes a person may experience fever above 38o C, which can last up to more than 48 hours. A person should immediately consult the doctor when such symptoms occur. Bruised ribs can cause shortness of breath, it may be difficult for a person to sneeze or laugh also. It is advisable to consult the doctor or run to the medical expertise whenever you notice any signs of the bruised ribs. Delaying medical treatment can be fatal or may worsen the case.
Bruised Ribs from Coughing
We live to the breath. Breathing is something which can’t be controlled by us until and unless death. If some irritant enter our nasal area then it can affect our breathing, resulting sneeze and coughs. Frequent coughing leads to repetitive contractions which may hurt our ribs, causing them to become bruised or even cracked.
Coughing can also be caused by bronchitis, pleurisy, pneumonia, whooping cough or other kind of respiratory infections. During these bouts, those who have thinner or more fragile bones, may suffer from fracture or bruising more easily than the people having strong bones. Thus, patients suffering from arthritis, osteoporosis or other such condition are more likely to experience these problems.
Pain in the ribs can be due to different causes ranging from mild overstrained muscles to serious lung conditions.
Some of the Causes which lead to Rib Pain or Bruised Ribs are listed Below
Lung Disorders: Most of the signs which are related to lungs show symptoms of cough, hence they need special attention especially when it is a matter of respiratory system. The lungs are surrounded by a structure called pleura, which is membranous lining. The pleura can get inflamed or there can be accumulation of plasma in between the lining. This can give rise to extreme pain under the ribs on breathing and coughing. Sometimes, lungs are also infected by cancer, which can lead to repetitive coughing. In such condition, proper examination is necessary with an appropriate treatment to avoid complications.
Constochondritis: Constochondritis is the inflammation of the cartilage which joins the ribs to the other bony structures. Due to various reasons like strong jerks, lifting, overstretching, the cartilage can get inflamed. Viral infections which causes cough problems can also lead to bruised ribs. These infected ribs give rise to the pain in the rib cage area and normal tenderness may also be felt on touching or pressing. As the cartilage helps in movement of the ribs during breathing, such movement can cause discomfort along with the pain.
Thus rib pain or bruised ribs must not be considered as a normal pain, but one should immediately consult to the doctor to avoid any complications in the future.
It is advisable to seek medical advice as earliest as possible to identify the problem so that it can be treated as soon as possible. Thus, bruised ribs is a serious problem and one should seek a medical expertise.
- Causes of Metallic Taste in Mouth and Tongue
- Elephantiasis Symptoms and Causes
- Kwashiorkor Symptoms and Causes
- Symptoms of Brown Recluse Spider Bite
- Blue Waffles Disease Symptoms and Causes
- Macular Degeneration Symptoms and Causes