With the increasing needs of everyday life and the accumulating pressure, both professionally and personally, people get increasingly stressed out. As such it is very likely for them to suffer from many pain-related disorders and conditions. While some may be engaged in physical work as in factories, mills, warehouses, drivers of different modes of transportation like sea, air and surface, and a hundred other manual jobs, there are those who need to sit in front of computers, screens and other such jobs that compel one to sit for hours in one position. So no matter what kind of job you are doing, some time or the other you are bound to suffer some sort of pain – neck, back, head, whole body, knee etc. This is when we fall back on pain relievers to help us get over the pain. Sometimes these are gentle pain relievers that work on a temporary basis, but there are those like M367 that are more strong and effective and could be very helpful in relieving continuous and chronic pain.
However, this drug comes under the black box warnings. A black box warning is the most severe alert from the FDA. This black box warning is to notify doctors as well as patients regarding certain drug effects that could be highly hazardous. Therefore, proper consultation with the physician is necessary before you start taking the drug. Moreover, it is important that you follow the instructions laid out by the doctor to avoid suffering from serious side-effects in the long run.
What is M367?
M367 is basically a painkiller useful in relieving mild to acute pains. It is a prescription drug classified under the Narcotic Analgesic Combinations drugs. This medicine comes in the form of tablets with its name M367 printed on it. Hydrocodone (10 mg) and Acetaminophen (325 mg) are its key ingredients. It has been categorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under Pregnancy Category C drug and graded as a Schedule 2 controlled substance by the Controlled Substance Act (CSA).
Acetaminophen, commonly known as Paracetamol, a fever and pain reliever used for menstruation pains, osteoarthritis, backaches, flu and cold pains and aches, toothaches and headaches also have the M367 mark. It is available in the form of an oral solution and oral tablet. When all other painkillers fail to relieve the patient of their intense pain, Acetaminophen-hydrocodone oral tablet is prescribed. It is very instrumental in treating mild to critical pain.
Why is M367 Used?
M367 is a prescription drug advised by physicians for relieving certain medical problems such as:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Severe back pain
- Any other general pain
M367 is a combination medication used to relieve mild to acute pain. It is made up of a narcotic (Opioid) pain reliever HYDROCODONE and a non-opioid pain reliever ACETAMINOPHEN. Hydrocodone impacts the brain to help the body respond to the medicine while Acetaminophen can help in bringing down a fever.
Within 1.5 hours, it begins to show its effect and this generally lasts for about 4 – 6 hours, though the duration may vary from one patient to another depending on many factors. This drug may also be used to treat chronic pain, chronic cough, a variety of cancer-related pains and arthritic pains.
It can be taken either all by itself or in combination versions of each drug to make a specific narcotic analgesic. The upside of such combination medication is they help to soothe a person’s frame of mind, which allows the painkiller enough time to work and show the results. Hydrocodone is also sometimes mixed with antihistamines to form a syrup that helps keep an aggravating cough in check and provide relief from the ensuing pain linked with coughing.
Recommended Dosage of M367
The dosage, the frequency of the drug, and the drug form are entirely dependent on certain aspects like the age of the patient, the condition being treated, other medical conditions you have, the severity of your condition, body mass and your reaction to the first dose.
It is suggested to seek advice from the doctor regarding proper dosage and assessment as this medicine could lead to an addiction if taken in higher doses for a long period of time. Changes in dosage should not be made on a whim. It is always wise to follow the doctor’s recommendation diligently. M367 is used for both short and long-term treatment and could be detrimental to your health if not taken precisely as advised by the physician.
Discontinuation of the drug or not taking it at all may make your pain even worse. For this medicine to perform as it should, a specific amount needs to be in your system continually. If not, your medication may not do the job as well as it needs to or may even cease working totally. In case you are taking the medication properly at the prescribed timings you can take a missed dose immediately. However, if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose, then you should forego the missed dose. You need not take extra doses to make up for the missed one as it could lead to damaging side effects.
On the other hand if you take in excess of the prescribed dose you are in danger of overdosing and may experience symptoms like slow heartbeat, slowed breathing, sweating, liver damage, lethargy, weak pulse, extremely low blood pressure, muscle weakness, dark urine, vomiting, possible coma, extreme drowsiness, pinpoint pupils, cold and clammy skin, blue lips and fainting. If you are asked to take the liquid form of the medicine, measure the same with a special cup or dose-measuring spoon and not a normal tablespoon.
Side Effects of M367
Most medicines, when taken for a period of time, generally lead to some side effect or the other. Therefore, you need to be prepared for these consequences along with the projected benefits of the specific medicine. Not all people suffer from side effects of medications they are on, but some do and the sooner the same is made known to the doctor, the better it is for immediate attention and relief.
Large doses of acetaminophen can cause liver issues which could even require a liver transplant and in some cases, it could be fatal. Taking more than 4,000 mg of acetaminophen per day along with more than one product containing acetaminophen could lead to liver failure. People already suffering from a liver disease, or those whose alcohol consumption is very high, could be easily affected while taking acetaminophen.
Some of the most common side effects of M367 are mentioned below:
An overdose of M367 may cause other side effects such as:
- Pain during urination
- Severe lethargy and sleepiness
- Intense sweating
- Color change in stools and/or urine
- Irregular heartbeat
- Low or slow breathing
- Mood swings
- A feeling of severe discomfort
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of hearing
- Breathing difficulty
- Swelling of the stomach region
- Pain in the upper right section of the stomach
- Yellowing of the white portion of the eyes as well as the skin
- Lack of appetite
Some patients may even suffer some side effects due to sudden discontinuation of the medicine. This is known as withdrawal symptoms. Therefore to avoid such discomfort and suffering, it is better that your doctor recommends a measured decrease in the dosage of this medicine.
Known Interactions of M367
An interaction in medical terms is when a matter is responsible for changing the manner of working of a drug. This, however, could be extremely destructive and/or prevent the drug from working in the expected way. Normally when two different drugs are taken together, there is a possibility of an adverse interaction. Thus, if any other over-the-counter medication is taken along with M367, the intended effect of the latter may change and the risk of suffering side effects might get enhanced. Therefore, it is always good to let your doctor know about the medicines or herbal supplements and vitamins you may already be taking to enable your physician to help manage and prevent drug interactions.
The liver is responsible in breaking down Hydrocodone and acetaminophen. The amount of hydrocodone or acetaminophen in your body can decrease due to the heightened activity of certain liver enzymes triggered by the combination of this medication with certain drugs like carbamazepine, phenytoin, and rifampin.
There could be severe interactions of M367 with some of the below-cited drugs or medicines:
- Synthroid (levothyroxine)
- Aspirin Low Strength (aspirin)
- Advair Diskus (fluticasone/salmeterol)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine)
- Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine)
- Ambien (zolpidem)
- MiraLax (polyethylene glycol 3350)
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin)
- Celebrex (celecoxib)
- Plavix (clopidogrel)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- Fish Oil (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids)
- Xanax (alprazolam)
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)
- Nexium (esomeprazole)
- Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol)
Taking certain drugs like other narcotics, benzodiazepines, antipsychotics, antihistamines along with acetaminophen-hydrocodone increases the risk of reduced physical and mental function, tiredness, dizziness, and drowsiness. If taking one of these drugs with acetaminophen-hydrocodone in unavoidable, then the dosage of either of the drugs needs to be lessened.
Certain drugs multiply the amount of a chemical called serotonin in the body. Therefore, taking this medicine with drugs that are responsible for such a condition can cause serious problems like serotonin syndrome that can be deadly. Therefore, you need to update your doctor in case you are on medications such as drugs for migraine (triptans), drugs for nausea (ondansetron), certain antidepressants (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors [SSRIs], selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors [SNRIs], tricyclic antidepressants [TCAs], monoamine oxidase inhibitors [MAOIs], mirtazapine, trazodone), linezolid (an antibiotic) and tramadol used for pain relief.
Is M367 Right for you?
There are certain drugs that are not fit for everybody and therefore, should be avoided. Likewise, M367 also may exhibit harmful effects when used in particular health conditions. People suffering from symptoms or conditions given below should avoid taking M367:
- Kidney failure
- Biliary spasm
- Impaired gastrointestinal motility
- Liver disease
- Urinary retention
- Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat)
- Hypothyroidism (the insufficient production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland)
Precautions That You Must Take
Before you start taking any medication you should always intimate your doctor about any other medications you may be taking or any other health issues you have because certain drugs are not suitable for people suffering from specific health conditions. Your doctor will impart the best guidance for you to avoid counter reactions to drugs.
Below are a few examples of the medical conditions that could be aggravated due to consumption of drugs like M367:
- Inflammatory bowel disorder such as ulcerative colitis
- High blood pressure
- Stomach ulcer
- If you are allergic to any medicines like ibuprofen, naproxen or aspirin or any other NSAIDs
- Addison’s disease or other adrenal gland disorder
- Kidney or liver problems
- If you have heart or blood circulation problem
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Any blood clotting problem
- Underactive thyroid
- A history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Mental illness
- The curvature of the spine
Before going in for a prospective surgery, the surgeon should be told much in advance that you are using M367. Most probably he may ask you to stop using the drug for a short period of time.
Prior to taking this medication, you should inform your doctor about any of the below-mentioned drugs you may be using:
- Urinary or bladder medications such as Oxybutynin (Ditropan, Oxytrol), Darifenacin (Enablex), Solifenacin (Vesicare) or Flavoxate (Urispas),
- Mepenzolate (Cantil), Benztropine (Cogentin), Scopolamine (Transderm-Scop), Atropine (Donnatal, etc), Methscopolamine (Pamine), Glycopyrrolate (Robinul), Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine)
- A bronchodilator such as Tiotropium (Spiriva) or Ipratropium (Atrovent)
- Antidepressants such as Imipramine (Janimine, Tofranil), Clomipramine (Anafranil), Amitriptyline (Elavil, Etrafon)
- Disagreeable bowel medications such as Hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Levsin, etc), Propantheline (Pro-Banthine) or Dicyclomine (Bentyl),
- An MAO inhibitor such as Rasagiline (Azilect), Phenelzine (Nardil), Isocarboxazid (Marplan), Tranylcypromine (Parnate) or Selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam)
There are many other drugs not listed above that can affect M367. It is worth telling your doctor about all the over-the-counter as well as prescription medications you are using including minerals, herbal products, vitamins and medicines prescribed by other physicians. Keep in mind that you should never commence using any new medication without first telling your doctor about it.
M367 Critical Warnings
Some of the known dangers of taking M367 are:
- Taking M367 along with alcohol should be absolutely ruled out as it could be detrimental to your health. It would be better if you are transparent with the doctor regarding your intake of alcoholic consumption per day.
- Your doctor should definitely be informed if you are suffering from any kind of liver problems such as liver cirrhosis.
- Taking M367 could become a habit and so it should be taken with a proper prescription under reliable medical supervision.
- This drug is harmful to the fetus and hence, not advised during pregnancy as the baby may have life-threatening issues after birth. This is generally known as neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome. Symptoms include – rapid breathing, excessive crying, increased bowel movements, fever, sneezing, yawning, vomiting and shaking. Hence, you should let your doctor know if you are already pregnant or planning to conceive in the near future.
- Mothers who are breastfeeding should stay away from this drug. Acetaminophen and Hydrocodone pass into breast milk in small quantities. The outcome may be labored breathing and unwarranted tiredness in a child who is breastfed.
- Children below the age of 6 years should not be given this medicine. Swallowing even one tablet could be fatal for a child. One should be careful to keep it beyond the reach of children.
- Those with a head injury should avoid taking M367 as it may cause tremendous pressure in the brain causing breathing issues.
- For people with stomach problems such as ulcerative colitis, intestinal obstruction or constipation should abstain from using this drug as the conditions may deteriorate.
- Those with critical kidney diseases should stay away from this drug as it builds up in the body causing breathing trouble.
- People with lung diseases should also avoid M367 as it is likely to cause short breaths and other breathing hazards.
- People with enlarged prostate may find it extremely difficult during urination if M367 is taken.
- Asthmatic patients are advised not to take this medicine without consulting the physician. The first few primary doses may have to be monitored.
The intake of M367 may at times be responsible for a probable grave allergic reaction that may occur without warning. The symptoms include:
- Swelling of mouth, throat, and face
- Breathing problem
- Skin outbreak
M367, though a very effective pain reliever, can also cause much harm if taken for a period of time. It could be habit forming leading to narcotic abuse, misuse and in most cases addiction that could be quite fatal. Therefore, it should only be used by the patient concerned and no one else.
This medication should be stored in a safe place beyond the reach of others. Maintain a record of the number of tablets that have been used from each new bottle. As a medicine, M367 can also be misused and abused and hence, keep yourself aware if any member in your family is taking this medicine without the knowledge of others or without an authentic prescription.
Since it is prone to causing side effects, it may weaken your thought process and normal responses. So you need to be extra cautious while driving or doing anything that requires you to be wide awake, aware and vigilant. Your doctor must immediately be informed if you observe the medicine not working as well as it used to in relieving your pain.
In order to help prevent constipation while you are taking M367, consume 6 – 8 full glasses of water on a daily basis. Try to increase the fiber in your food by taking the good advice of your doctor. Do not use a laxative (stool stimulant) without the permission of your doctor.
It is advised not to use any other over-the-counter allergy, cold, painkiller or cough medication without consulting your doctor. Since M367 is contained in many medicines available at the neighborhood pharmacy, it is likely you may take too much of other products along with it which could be really risky. You must, therefore, read the label carefully of any other medicine you intend to take to see if it contains M367.
Remember to keep this and all other medicines for that matter, away from children and on no account should you ever share your medicines with others. Make sure to use M367 only for the prescribed period and not more. In order to retain the best qualities of this drug, it should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and moisture.
Posts you May Like:
- Uses of Benadryl and Claritin
- Pseudoephedrine High – Causes, Signs & Symptoms
- Hydrocodone High – Why It is Extremely Dangerous?
- How Long Does Acetaminophen Stay in the Body?
- Gabapentin High – What You Should Know
- How to Take Zoloft for Anxiety Treatment?
- How does Trazodone Work in the Body?
- What is Lyrica Overdose or Abuse?